Choosing a domain name is vital in your digital marketing and branding efforts. It requires just as much thought and consideration as choosing your business name.
The best domain names are generally shorter and include a keyword related to your service. If you have an already established brand, this isn’t as important and I would recommend buying a domain that is your business name exactly.
For the rest, including a primary keyword in your domain name improves your chances of ranking in Google, especially within a competitive space. Domain names have been and still are one of the least spoken of ranking factors.
Here are 9 tips on choosing the best domain name:
- Try keep it short and to the point
- Use keywords
- Target your area, for example, if your business is geared towards South Africa, grab a .co.za domain, should you be targeting the world (or USA) go with a .com domain
- Make it easy to remember (so that users can easily type it in to their web browser)
- Avoid special or non-alphabetic characters such as numbers and hyphens
- Research your domain, see what is available and try buy some variations of your domain as to avoid competitors snatching them up
- Buy it now! Do not wait.
Where to buy domain names?
You can purchase a domain upon registering for a web hosting package. This will be via a hosting company of your choice.